The power of effective communication in business (and in life in general) is incredibly important.
Communication is the cornerstone of success, both professionally and personally. It’s the foundation of strong relationships and successful organizations. In June, we recognize National Effective Communications Month. It’s the perfect time to celebrate this important skill.
Effective communication builds trust, which is one reason I’ve found that nothing is more important than relationships, than connecting with others, and understanding the other person’s motivation. When relationships align with your own core values, you’re poised to do great things together that benefit those around you.
Effective Communication: 5 Tips to Improve
To help you improve your communication skills, here are five actionable tips.
- Active Listening: Pay full attention to the speaker, avoid interrupting, and ask clarifying questions to ensure you understand their message.
- Empathy: Put yourself in the other person’s shoes to understand their perspective and feelings.
- Clarity and Conciseness: Be clear and concise with simple language to avoid confusion and misinterpretation when delivering your messages.
- Nonverbal Communication: Pay attention to body language, facial expressions, and tone of voice, all of which convey important information and emotions.
- Feedback and Follow-ups: Encourage feedback from others and follow up on conversations to ensure understanding and maintain open lines of communication.
When done consistently, these five action items show respect, promote open dialogue, and allow for greater understanding. Because we’ve learned effective communication is key to building strong relationships with USANA’s customers and distributors, we strive to ensure that every interaction, whether it’s through our products, marketing materials, or customer service, is clear, concise, and informative.
In professional situations, empathetic and clear communication promotes open dialogue and resolves conflicts, which maintains a positive work environment.
I shared these thoughts in a news release that went out on June 1, 2023, to commemorate Effective Communications Month. All the Right Reasons: 12 Timeless Principles for Living a Life in Harmony, which is available on Amazon, uncovers 12 principles for living a life in harmony and drawing on the power of values to help find life’s success secrets. All proceeds feed hungry children, with each book purchase providing 40 meals.