Taking care of yourself is crucial, especially when times get tough. Specifically, it’s essential in these times to prioritize our physical, mental, and emotional well-being. International Self-Care Day, which takes place July 24, reminds us to engage in self-care practices that enhance our quality of life.
I’ve found seven key habits for aligning one’s core values with harmony and balance.
- Self-reflect each morning: Start your day with a few minutes of quiet introspection to set a positive tone for the day.
- Meditate: Use guided meditation to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Spend time in nature: Connect with the outdoors to boost mood and improve mental health.
- Detox digitally: Unplug from electronic devices to give your mind a break and enhance focus.
- Listen to favorite music: Reduce anxiety and stress by listening to soothing tunes.
- Engage in a new creative activity: Stimulate your brain and unleash your creativity by trying something new.
- Get enough sleep: Prioritize restful sleep to support physical and mental health.
What’s On My Self-Care Day To-Do List?
Benefits of Self-Care
I’ve found that when we do these self-care practices, we increase energy, improve mental clarity, and enhance overall well-being. For example, music is medicine to me and helps me balance when pressures build. As our band, The Free Radicals, performs, we see people singing, smiling, and dancing to the music, whether we’re in Mexico, Europe, the United States, China, or Korea. Music is a universal power that balances people.
Growing up, there was always music in our home, and it set a good feeling. My love for music has been with me for as long as I can remember. It has transformed my life and continues to help me balance.
In celebration of International Self-Care Day, I encourage you to share your self-care practices and positive experiences by using the hashtag #SelfCareJuly on social media.
I shared these thoughts in a news release that went out on June 29, 2023, in advance of International Self-Care Day. All the Right Reasons: 12 Timeless Principles for Living a Life in Harmony, which is available on Amazon, uncovers 12 principles for living a life in harmony and drawing on the power of values to help find life’s success secrets. All proceeds feed hungry children, with each book purchase providing 40 meals.